I quit my job today. I didn’t quit my career, I will still be going back into the classroom in September, but I told the tutoring company I am working for that I will not be continuing with them into the school year.
The boss looked at me like I had lost my mind. She started to ask me several questions, but she paused, and said, “You must not have any student loans”
I laughed nervously at the thought of this sentiment. “I don’t” is all I said, with a smile but many thoughts swirled around my head as it happened.
- Why is it so common to have crippling college debt?
- How come with 2 degrees, it is expected that we need extra income?
- Why is this something she is using as her hook to keep people here?
- Why shouldn’t I value personal/family time over some extra cash?
- Does she expect her kids to be in debilitating debt? (they also work there)
- What do I have to do to make sure this isn’t an issue that myself or anyone in my family (including my nonexistent children) has to deal with?
I’m trying to set up my future now. We have to get ahead of the game and make intentional moves.